Monday, May 3, 2010

Opening Day: A Fishing Tradition

The term “opening day” has just one meaning for fishermen and that’s the kickoff of trout fishing for a new season. It’s a right of Spring, a cause for celebration, and a ritual all rolled into one - and this year was no different for millions of anglers. In my home state, Opening Day fell on April 10th.

About a week before, the ritual began by dragging out the tackle for a preseason tune up. Considering I spend most of my time chasing saltwater fish big enough to eat the average size stocked trout, around here the rod, reel, and lures certainly seem diminutive by comparison. But matching the tackle to the fish is what makes fishing fun.

I had to clean the dust off the tiny spinning reel, give it a shot of lubricant and replace the old line. I spooled it with HI-SEAS White Lightning in two-pound test, a line so thin I don’t know if I should put my glasses on or take them off to see it when tying knots. It’s a very limp line, which is important when you know the water is going to be cold and after the winter we had, the streams would be freezing!

The rod is a 4-1/2 ultra light, very short, but ideal for casting under overhanging branches to reach undercut banks where trout like to hide. With such light line it’s a good idea to check the guides for nicks or cracks. I absconded with an old pair of my wife’s panty hose and cut a few pieces of material out of it. You can detect any defects by running one through the guides and feeling for snags on the cloth.

Then I checked my waders to make sure there wouldn’t be any unpleasant surprises when I stepped down into the stream and located my vest, which still had plastic tackle boxes filled with tiny spinners, plugs, and other goodies to make sure they were stocked with everything I would need.

Come the fateful day I met my neighbor at 5 AM and headed to one of the lesser known streams the state stocks nearby and was in hip deep water when the season officially opened. We fished for a few hours catching an even trout between us, keeping a few for dinner, before driving to a diner for a late breakfast in celebration of another annual rite of passage. After the opening day rush subsides in a week or two I’ll sneak back to the stream for a few hours of fishing before or after work, but this time I’ll bring the fly rod. Hope you had a happy opening day, too.

-Gary Caputi

No comments:

Post a Comment