Friday, May 14, 2010

Thinking About Braid

I used braided line for the past few years on the big guns, Tiagra 30 WLRS' for tuna, wahoo, etc. Played around with it on my king mackerel reels but never took a liking to it until Hi-Seas came out with the Grand Slam red braid.


Started thinking about it all winter and thought of the upside and downside to using braid. The biggest concern was how to overcome the stretch factor of mono and prevent from pulling hooks on the speedy kings who get hooked all over their body most of the time, rarely in the mouth.

The plan is to use 30 to 40 ft. of  20 to 25 lb. Quattro Flouro carbon leader for stretch, use a Red Phillips knot  to connect the 50 lb. test red braid to the leader. Rigged a reel just like this yesterday to chase Cobia in seas that were too rough to sight cast, so we anchored up with no luck.

If you  live in warmer climes and can catch kings, try the above set up and let me know how it worked for you by leaving a comment!

Thanks for reading, 

Captain Stanman
www.captainstanman.us 

4 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I'm an avid angler from Malaysia and have been trying to contact AFW for years through their e-mail listed on the website, but there was never any response.

    It wasn't until my brother was in Houston earlier this year that I did manage to sample the products from AFW and it met all my expectactions.

    I am opening up a fishing website for the benefit of the angler's in my country and nearby regions and would like to use it as an avenue to recommend an sell AFW products.

    How can I reach the sales people for AFW for such an arrangement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,

    You can email us directly at bnolan@wire-cablespecialties.com for more information. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I've sent the e-mail already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been over a week but still no response :(

    ReplyDelete